July 25, 2014

Chicago Road Trip

After last summer's big anniversary Euro trip, we decided that this summer we would take it easy (on ourselves and our wallets) and do a week in Chicago. Both sets of grandparents live in Chicago, it is where Steve is from, and it is an easy road trip for us to make in the summer. My sister and her family are also back in the states from Singapore, so we got to spend a lot of time with them, and I met up with two college roomies. Here is a little recap of what we were up to!

On our way to Chicago, we stopped through my hometown (Moline, IL) so I could meet up with one of my oldest and dearest friends. She has 3 girls, close in age, so we had quite the crew! We don't get to see each other often, so I cherish these moments. She is one of those friends that you pick up with right where you left off and I'm so grateful to have ever known her. She radiates true kindness and authenticity, which is just so refreshing.

Once again, Drew was the only boy, which seems to be a theme a lot in his life! Steve keeps telling him he will appreciate it one day… :).


We also drove by the house I grew up in. The street seemed narrower, the trees seemed larger, and my heart felt warm as we drove by it. I haven't been back to my hometown in several years (since my parents no longer live there), so it was fun to take a little walk own memory lane. Steve and I have moved a lot, seen a lot, experienced a lot, but I will never forget where I came from or where I grew up. My kids had all sorts of questions and Drew said he thought it would be fun to go back and time and see me as a little kid. That few hours spent in my hometown was good for the soul. :)


The cousins were reunited for several days! My sister and I are 15 months apart, we got married 5 months apart, and we had our first children within 8 months of each other. So, it goes without saying that these these four are lucky to have each other so close in age too!


Mostly, we eat when we are in Chicago. It's like a pastime for us. We also shopped, explored the city, and the kids spent time with grandparents/uncles doing all sorts of fun stuff. Steve and I even got to sneak away for a Cubs game date night! Free babysitters are a foreign concept to us, so we take advantage when we can! :)


It was COLD and cloudy in Chicago, hence the jeans and sweatshirts. That Chicago weather would do me in, but I do live being in the hustle and bustle of the city!


Some would say my mom and sister and I look alike. Hmmmmm…..what do you think????  :)


At the end of the week, Steve drove back home with the kids. I stayed, and a friend from KC flew in to meet me for the weekend.

We ate, drank, walked around the city, talked without interruption, went to a Cubs game, and boated on Lake Michigan. It was glorious!


Next weekend, Steve and I, and the kids are headed out for one more family weekend getaway before school starts. Hope you are having a fun-filled summer and making memories!  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Hi! My hubby and I are visiting Chicago for the first time in Sept. for my race and I can't wait! I love your cross body bag, would you mind sharing where you got it from? Hope it's recent. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! My bag is actually a Steve Madden, but I got it at Marshall's! They are so hit or miss, but you could try!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say and I will do my best to answer all questions as quickly as possible. I will respond to comments/questions in the comments feed unless you prefer I email you, in which case, please leave your email address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...