July 18, 2014

Black Interior Front Door

Happy Friday, friends! I finally crossed off a project that has been on my to-do list for a loooooong time! The interior side of our front door is now glossy black and I love it as much as I knew I would. Now all interior doors that lead outside on the first floor are black. The mudroom door is black on both sides, as well as the door off the eating area that leads to the back patio. I'm thinking my front door is going to be black soon too, so stay turned for that!

I eventually want to replace this door with one that is mostly glass, but other projects are taking precedence. Until that time, the glossy black makes it feel like new again!


I love light and bright spaces and my first floor is full of light. I was a little worried that a black door at the front of the house might make the space feel dark, but I feel it just adds richness to the space.

Here are a few shots of the door before, painted in our trim color, SW Alabaster. The wall color is SW Big Chill.



Now that the door is black, the moldings stand out and the door doesn't look so builder grade.


I used paint that I already had on hand to paint the other doors, Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer in Semi Gloss. It's an exterior paint so it's super durable and super glossy, which I love. The color is Dark Kettle Black.


I used a foam roller, applied 3 coats, allowing drying time in between coats. I use a small craft brush to fill in around the door handle/lock. Always make sure to start with a clean surface and wipe the doors down first!

I think the whole country was experiencing lower than normal temps this week, which was exactly the motivation I needed to get this project done! xo

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say and I will do my best to answer all questions as quickly as possible. I will respond to comments/questions in the comments feed unless you prefer I email you, in which case, please leave your email address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...