March 28, 2011

DIY Textured Eggs

I wanted an inexpensive way to jazz up some plastic eggs for my mantle.  I decided to use supplies that I had laying around the house and came up with these easy-to-make textured eggs...



DIY Textured Eggs:

I picked up 3 bags of large plastic eggs at Hobby Lobby.  Each bag was 77 cents, but everything Easter was 40% off-cheap! 


I decided to cover the egg with a glue stick and roll the eggs in sand (I used sand from beach trips that I have used to decorate with previously).

I allowed a little time for the sand to stick, and then I simply hand painted the eggs in three springy colors.  The pink and blue are interior paints left over from other projects and the green is craft paint.  Again, I just used what I had on hand. 

After the paint dried, I hot glued thin purple/white and pink/white striped ribbon to the back of the egg in different lengths. I bought the ribbon on clearance at Hob Lob for .59 a roll (needed 2 rolls).





I taped the eggs to my mantle, so don't look too closely!  I love the way these turned out-you would never know these eggs cost about 10 cents a piece and my kids love them!


Quick Mantle Breakdown:

Tin pot: already had sitting around in my garage.  Flowers in the tin pot are from Hobby Lobby.  They have the best selection of  fake stems and they are often on sale for 50% off.  I got 4 stems for less than $10.  I stuffed the pot full of plastic bags to keep the flowers upright and to make them appear fuller.  I like how they are draped forward and sort of wild looking.


Moss wreath:  I had some moss left over from these projects and decided to make a small wreath to hang indoors.

Candlesticks:  I acquired several candlesticks in different shapes, sizes, heights.  Some were already silver, and some I spray painted.  I acquired them from thrift stores, IKEA, and had some I wasn't using.  I think they add a little bling and a little drama to an otherwise boring fireplace (I am trying to talk my hubby into revamping the tile surround)!

I also recently added this quote that I printed and framed.  You can get one for yourself here.


Spring has sprung!

9 comments:

  1. I love it! Thanks for your comment over at nuestrasaventurasentexas.com regarding my burlap wreath. I will post a tutorial this week on how to make the ruffles!
    I love your mantle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just awesome! Great Project. Great Mantle and GREAT prices!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic-aren't you crafty. Everything looks fabulous. Love it! April is guest blogger month at Doberman's by the Sea, would you be interested in doing a post? I'm sure my readers would love you. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful! I wish I had a mantle so I could hang eggs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya , great ideas here , i LOVE it my fav is the candlesticks i cant get enough of them , tfs , i am visiting from someday crafts and am your newest follower maybe you will pop by mine and follow too
    www.emilysnan.blogspot.com
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! I found your link on Someday Crafts...I linked my mantle too :) I am now following your site! thanks for sharing!

    creativecarmella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks so pretty! We miss you and hope all is well! Love, Shelly (www.lifewithperks.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this idea! The eggs look so elegant! Found your blog from Centsational Girl! Thanks for sharing!

    Maggie mummy-maggie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea -- now I don't have to toss all those old plastic eggs (now that my "baby" just turned 18). Also love your wreath!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love hearing what you have to say and I will do my best to answer all questions as quickly as possible. I will respond to comments/questions in the comments feed unless you prefer I email you, in which case, please leave your email address.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...